Saturday, February 27, 2010

How many pieces of fruit should I eat in a day?

The answer actually depends on your height, weight, and physical activity level, but for a relative comparison I'll say I aim for 2-3.

It's doable. I bring food to work all the time and leave it on my desk. I figure I'm a dietitian so it's not weird to have a grapefruit, an apple, some rice crackers and nuts and seeds for all to see. And if it's anywhere between 11am and 3 you're apt to see some cottage cheese as well.

But no matter, the point is it's doable. Grab a banana on the way out the door. If you're not a breakfast eater, comfort yourself in knowing that eventually you'll eat and when you do get those first grumbles in the belly, tada!, you have a banana. It's no meal, but it'll tide you over until you have one. One fruit down.

You can also keep a bowl of grapes out at home (preferably organic as we eat the skin). When you walk by, take a few. A half a cup of grapes (or berries, or other cut-up fruit) is considered "one fruit." Before you know it, two fruits down.

And maybe you don't like the bulk of whole fruit. It's just not convenient to carry around. Fair enough. Enter dried fruit. Hello raisins. Hello prunes (gross). Hello dried cranberries, apple, pear, mango, and papaya, to name a few. How are you? Thanks for the nourishment. A quarter cup and done, three fruits down.

Challenge yourself. Make a goal of eating one piece of fruit a day if you don't already do so. If you do, make it two.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, this is great! Thanks for the tips! Especially great after our conversation today too. I am up for the challenge - I'll let you know how I do!

    ReplyDelete